Why Save Your Thesis or Your Whole Intro for the End?
Effective Strategies to Conclude Your Essay
1. Restate your main points: Always remind the reader of the key points you discussed in your essay. This will help them understand what your essay was all about. However, don’t simply repeat your thesis; instead, rephrase it in a new way that adds depth and clarity to your argument.
2. Answer the “so what” question: Take the time to think about why your essay is important and why the reader should care. What does your essay mean in the larger context? Highlight the significance of your ideas and showcase the implications they may have on the topic or the world as a whole.
3. Leave the reader with a thought-provoking question or call to action: Engage the reader by ending your essay with a question that stimulates further thinking. This will encourage them to consider other perspectives and continue exploring the topic on their own. Alternatively, you can end with a call to action that urges the reader to take a specific step or make a difference in the world.
Leave a Lasting Impression on Your Readers
- Reiterate your main thesis statement and the key points discussed in your essay.
- Summarize your main arguments and evidence.
- Pose thought-provoking questions and encourage further reflection.
- Connect your essay to a broader topic or issue.
- Leave your readers with a final thought, reflection, or call to action.
What is the purpose of a conclusion in an essay?
The purpose of a conclusion in an essay is to summarize the main points discussed in the body paragraphs and restate the thesis statement in a new way. It helps to bring closure to the essay and leave a lasting impression on the reader.
How long should a conclusion be in an essay?
The length of a conclusion in an essay can vary depending on the length of the essay itself. However, a good rule of thumb is to aim for a conclusion that is about 10% of the total essay length. This means that if your essay is 1000 words long, the conclusion should be around 100 words.
What are some effective strategies for writing a conclusion?
There are several effective strategies for writing a conclusion. One strategy is to restate the main points of the essay in a concise manner. Another strategy is to end with a thought-provoking question or a call to action. Additionally, you can leave the reader with a memorable quote or a personal reflection that ties back to the thesis statement.
Can you provide an example of a well-written conclusion?
Sure! Here is an example of a well-written conclusion: “In conclusion, it is clear that the use of technology has greatly impacted our lives. From communication to transportation, technology has revolutionized the way we live and work. However, it is important to remember that technology is a tool that should be used wisely and responsibly. As we move forward, it is crucial to strike a balance between embracing technology and maintaining our human connections. Only then can we truly harness the power of technology for the betterment of society.”