On this amazing expedition in Costa Rica you will team up with volunteers from all over the world. You will be based in the Tortuguero National Park and that you will do on this program will assist with the management and conservation of this beautiful rain forest.
Participate in research activities that focuses around species’ population, Jaguars, birds and turtles which will give you a greater understanding of the ecosystem that will surround you everyday.
Practical skills and knowledge is a very important part of this program. Additional training will be provided and you will gain field experience as well.
- Wake up 5/6am
- 1st survey 6-10am, lunch, 2nd survey 1-4pm,
- dinner, bed by 9pm.
Nighttime turtle patrols are 8/9pm-2am (you would have the morning off the following day!). One survey a week volunteers will be on kitchen duty.
Volunteers go out on 2 surveys a day, except for Friday afternoons and Saturdays which is free time. You receive training on all species and surveys. Jaguars feeding behavior and population studies project will include a 15 mile survey on the beach once a week to monitor the number of predated sea turtles and the use of camera traps to ID jaguars and monitor their feeding patterns (Seasonal Feb to Nov).
Core Project Focuses:
- Scats (faeces) gathering in order conduct genetic studies
- Marine turtle (seasonal end of march to October) conservation using a international protocol to ID nesting greens, leatherbacks (March to June) and some hawksbills.
- Tropical species surveying and identification techniques which will be comprised of surveys in the forest focusing on the whole biodiversity of the area (amphibians, birds, mammals and reptiles).
- Data recording and Input, volunteers will assist in inputting the data collected on surveys into the projects databases.
This program is very physically demanding, the beach is very uneven and it can get very hot and humid. Volunteers may have to walk up to 8 miles on a survey, as well as the 15-mile jag walk that takes place once a week.
The base is remote and only accessible by boat. The ocean outside base has strong rip currents and participants are only allowed to go in knee deep and strictly no swimming.
You may choose to take part in this program for either 4, 6, 8, 10 or 12 weeks. Please contact us for more details.