About the Location:
The name Mysore is derived from the demon name Maheshasur who ruled here and was killed by Goddess Chamundi after magnanimous battle. Above the hills, is a temple built as a tribute to Goddess Chamundi, which is great traction for devotees and nature lovers for the splendid view.
Located below Chamundi Hills, Mysore City is an epitome for magnificent history and heritage. It is a city nestled with glorious palaces with Indian; European architecture, art galleries, gardens and lakes with all with a rich historical prominence. Mysore also has a famous Zoo with animals and birds from all around the globe. The lakes in and around Mysore is well known, as it hosts many resplendent species of migratory birds.
About the Program:
This program encourages participants to dwell in the rich cultural heritage and acquaint with the grass-root level challenges that exist in the city reminiscence of the great warrior “Tipu Sultan”.
• Familiarise and participation with the specification of livelihood opportunities among women empowerment groups.
• Establish a model rainwater harvesting system in the school as part of the natural resource management.
• Meet experts in Natural Resource Management to learn about local specific interventions which will give the participants knowledge about grass root level issues and solutions.
Cultural visits to different sites and will learn about the local culture.
• Experience of living in a host family in the 3rd week.
• Baseline survey and village mapping
• Soil and water conservation activities
• Exposure visit to a model village to work in the farm
• Study visit to Community Resource Centre managed by women and interaction
• Exposure visit to a dairy unit managed by women and work with them
• Awareness creation to schoolchildren on rainwater harvesting
• Establishing a rainwater harvesting system in the school
• You will have direct interaction with welcoming locals. You may use these opportunities to exchange experiences to learn more about other social, cultural and political living conditions.
• Special cultural visits will be organized, during which you will be able to present your countries and have some fun together with the locals.
Benefit to Volunteers:
• Develop knowledge on Baseline Survey and Women empowerment
• Develop Knowledge on Indian education system
• Develop knowledge on water harvesting systems
• Develop knowledge on intercultural dimension
• Develop skills on Language, Group bonding, Social and Analytical skills.
• Develop skills on Conflict resolution and Team building
• Develop Teaching and interactive skills
Benefit to communities:
• Understand and facilitate cultural exchanges
• Develop intercultural knowledge
• Develop knowledge on women right
• Children gather knowledge on Rain water harvesting and improve Language skills
• Develop global perspectives