We are frequently asked about travel insurance. As an AFS participant you are already covered by comprehensive medical insurance. We’ll do everything we can to make sure your trip abroad goes smoothly and is a fantastic, memorable experience, but having the right level of travel insurance in place is important in case something unexpected happens. The cover you choose should account for things like lost or damaged luggage, travel disruptions and the loss of valuable items such as laptops and cameras. AFS strongly recommends that all participants take out travel insurance to cover these situations and others.
Travel insurance: simple & flexible
To help AFS Australian participants source the right kind of insurance, we’re affiliated with World Nomads. World Nomads offers a range of policies that are suitable for studying and volunteering abroad, they are also very competitively priced and underwritten by the likes of Bupa, Lloyd’s and Millstream.
Travel insurance: common claims
- Lost or stolen luggage and personal effects;
- Loss of travel documents: if you lose your passport, the cost of getting to the closest Australian Consulate will be reimbursed, along with other associated costs;
- Resumption of journey: the cost of rejoining the AFS program should you have to return to Australia unexpectedly following the death of, or life threatening injury/sickness of a relative;
Why buy travel insurance from World Nomads.com?
- Backed by specialist insurers and global assistance partners.
- Buy Online before you leave home.
- Claim online while travelling.
- Give a little back and support a community development project.
AFS strongly recommends that all participants take out travel insurance in addition to the medical insurance provided by AFS. AFS participants are not obligated to take out travel insurance through World Nomads; you are welcome to explore other travel insurance provider options.